Immigration services » Information about Visa
Visas and invitations
A visa is a sticker which is placed in a travel document. Before entry into Latvia a visa must be obtained at Latvian consular missions in foreign countries.
List of countries which citizens may enter the Republic of Latvia without a visa and stay in Latvia for up to 90 days within a six-month period from the day of entry:
1.Citizens of the European Union, member states of the European Economic Area and Swiss Confederation:
– Austria – Liechtenstein
– Belgium – Luxemburg
– Czech Republic – Malta
– Cyprus – The Netherlands
– Denmark – Norway
– Finland – Poland
– France – Portugal
– Germany – Slovakia
– Greece – Slovenia
– Hungary – Spain
– Estonia – Sweden
– Ireland – Switzerland
– Iceland – United Kingdom
– Italy – Bulgaria
– Lithuania – Romania
2. List of countries and territorial authorities citizens of which do not require a visa in accordance with Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 of 15 March 2001 listing the third countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement:
Albania (applies only to holders of biometric passports); Malaysia;
Antigua and Barbuda; Mexico;
Australia; Montenegro (applies only to holders of biometric passports);
The Bahamas; New Zealand;
Bosnia and Herzegovina (applies only to holders of biometric passports); Panama;
Brunei; Saint Kitts and Nevis;
Canada; San Marino;
Chile; Serbia (applies only to holders of biometric passports, excluding holders of Serbian passports issued by the Serbian Coordination Directorate (in Serbian: Koordinaciona uprava));
Costa Rica; The Seychelles;
El Salvador; Uruguay;
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM) (applies only to holders of biometric passports); USA;
Guatemala; Vatican City State;
Israel; Taiwan, Republic of China (applies only to holders of passports issued by Taiwan which include an identity card number).
Korea (South Korea);
Special Administrative Regions of the People’s Republic of China:
holders of a “Hong Kong Special Administrative Region” passport;
holders of a “Região Administrativa Especial de Macau” passport.
3. Categories of persons who are exempt from the visa requirement:
– British Nationals (Overseas);
– holders of British subjects passports (Persons who are British subjects by virtue of Part IV of the British Nationality Act 1981 and who have the right of abode in the United Kingdom and are therefore exempt from United Kingdom immigration control);
– Recognized refugees, stateless persons and other persons without a citizenship, who permanently reside in one of the EU member state and who hold a travel document issued by this member state (except Great Britain and Ireland).
Citizens from countries which are not mentioned above may enter the Republic of Latvia only with visa.
There are 2 forms of visa: individual visa and group visa.
There are 3 types of visa: single-entry visa, double entry visa and multiple-entry visa.
There are two types of Visa:
– short term Visa;
– long term Visa.
Documents required for submitting application of visa:
– valid travel document;
– accomplished, signed visa application form and photo;
– document copy what confirms that the applicant has a health insurance policy;
– documents what confirms the reason for entry and the expected place of residence or invitation letter of approved by the Office of Citizenship and Migration affairs (the invitation is valid for 6 months from the date of approval);
– receipt which confirms payment of fees.
According to the Immigration Law, in order to be able to enter and stay in the Republic of Latvia, a foreigner must prove that one has sufficient financial means.
The following amounts are required:
– if the party extending the invitation provides the foreign national being invited with accommodation, the estimate for the required financial means is 10 LVL a day;
– if the foreign national intends to stay at a tourist accommodation, the estimate for the required financial means takes into account the cost of lodging based on the applicable rates, and is at least 45 EUR a day.
If You need immigration services or other legal services, please contact us
Tel. (371) 29 112 333